Avocado and Poached Egg Sandwich
Start your day right with this savory, energy-boosting Smashed Avocado and Poached Egg Sandwich! Mashed avocado and oozy egg yoke form a beautiful blend of protein and healthy fats guaranteed to keep you feeling full and focused. Served on crunchy, whole grain toast and topped with light seasonings, these two superfoods star in a sandwich bursting with health benefits.
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 large or extra large egg
- 2 small pieces whole grain or whole wheat sliced bread
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar (white or apple cider)
- 1/2 cup salad greens of choice or baby spinach, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Toast bread.
- Poach eggs by bringing 2 inches of water with 1/4 teaspoon salt and lemon juice or vinegar to a simmer over high heat. Do not allow water to boil. If it begins boiling, reduce heat.
- Crack egg into a small bowl or mug and slide egg into water. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes until egg white is solid, but yolk is still liquid. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel/napkin to absorb any excess water. Place on toast.
- Meanwhile, smash avocado with olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and black pepper. Use a potato masher or pulse in a food processor or blender until pureed but slightly chunky. Spread onto one side of toast, top with salad greens or spinach if using, and place over egg toast. Enjoy!